February 13, 2005

Is / Isn't / Is


Photograph by Yingtzu Chang.
Dance is my life. I hear people say that. I hear my own friends say that. It bothers me. If dance is your life, doesn't that mean you have a pretty shallow and narrowly-defined life?

Dance is not my life. Dance is one of the things I do to enjoy life. It's an expression of my life. It's an important facet of my life. But my life is larger than dance. I have my friends and family, I have my lover, I have my cat and a parakeet and books and movies and music. I have a life outside of dance.

And yet, I can't imagine my life without dance. Dance infiltrates everything I do. It's shaped the way I walk. It affects the way I reach for the salt on the top shelf of the cupboard. It influences how I pick up my car keys when I drop them. It allows me to glide effortless through the crowds at the market. Dance makes putting on socks an act of pleasure. It guides the way I breathe. Dance pulls me the way the moon pulls the tide.

Without dance my life would be less than it is. Without dance my life would be flat. Dance is...my life.