March 04, 2005

What're ya gonna do?


Photograph by w00kie.
Best goddamned fries on the East Coast, and that's no joke. It's about the cut of the potato, the heat of the oil, the freshness of the oil, and the spices. We make a damned good patty melt here at Jimmy Tom's too, and we don't put no grapes or raisins or other hippy shit in our chicken salad. But it's the fries gave us our reputation.

I been here at Jimmy Tom's since right after the war. Korean War. Didn't mean to be here this long. I was gonna be famous, ya know? I had a plan. Comedy writer, screenwriter, move to Hollywood and marry a blonde with big tits. I just needed one break, one chance to show what I got...and 'til then I figured I'd work here at the diner. Try out lines on the customers, ya know? See if they work. Soak up the atmosphere, all that.

Never got the break. Came close a couple times, but never really got it. Everything's changed now. Comedy's different, movies are different. My stuff, it's outa date. I know that, I know that. What're ya gonna do? So I'm still here.

Jimmy Tom, he died couple years back. His son owns the joint now. He's talking to people, thinking about making some changes. Maybe make it an internet cafe, maybe going retro. That's what he says, 'going retro.' I told him this place ain't changed since the goddamned Korean War, you want to make it retro you'd have to put up Civil War draft posters.

He's even thinking about changing the menu. Getting rid of the patty melts and the chicken salad and the fries, serving 'pan-asian cuisine,' whatever the fuck that is. I hate to see it, I really do, but what're ya gonna do? What're ya gonna do? Best goddamned fries on the East Coast, I shit you not, but hey...they're just french fries. Things change, and there it is.